Sunday, March 14, 2010

BlueBonnets :: The State Flower of Texas

First Bluebonnet of Spring 2010!

The Bluebonnet (Lupinus texensis) is the state flower of Texas. They are just now starting to bloom in my backyard. I hope we have a ton of them this year. Last Spring we had very little rainfall so I didn't get very many.

I love these pretty blue flowers which grow in a spiked cluster, each one shaped like a little bonnet. When the individual blooms are pollinated, the white centers of the flowers turn a pinkish red.

Bluebonnets also come in colors of pink, white, and Texas A&M maroon! I've only had the blue ones growing naturally in my backyard and wouldn't consider scattering the seeds of the other colors because my favorite one is the blue.
"It's not only the state flower but also a kind of floral trademark almost as well known to outsiders as cowboy boots and the Stetson hat. The bluebonnet is to Texas what the shamrock is to Ireland, the cherry blossom to Japan, the lily to France, the rose to England and the tulip to Holland." -Jack Maguire, historian

Documenting the wildflowers that are coming up in my backyard this Spring is so much fun! I can't wait to see what's next.

Here's what's been springing up so far:

Spring 2010 Backyard Wildflowers

3 comments:

  1. Oh how pretty. Bluebonnets don't grow in my backyard. I want to see it turn pinkish red.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are just adorable flowers! I can't wait to see flowers here. We stil have some snow on the ground! (mostly piles of where snoblower threw the snow from last storm) Thanks for the taste of spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hali, I'll get a picture of it turning pinkish red(just the white centers change color). It's really interesting!

    Raige, I miss snow but only for snow skiing and fun (don't miss the icy winds - brrr)! By the way, I'm looking forward to the egg cozies and stick shift cover you crocheted - going to have to blog about them too! :)

    ReplyDelete